Spring means rhubarb! I came up with this recipe to showcase it’s rich tangy flavour.
- 3 cups (300g) chopped rhubarb
- 2 Tbsp (30g) grated fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) plus 2 Tbsp (30g) brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 3/4 cup crushed gingersnaps
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) whipping cream
- 1/2 cup marscarpone cream ( room temperature)
- A few drops of vanilla
In a medium saucepan, cook rhubarb, ginger and 1/3 cup (75ml) sugar over low to medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until rhubarb has softened. Cool.
Melt butter in shallow pan and stir in the ginger snaps. Cook over low heat for a few minutes until crumbs are coated with butter.
In a small bowl, mix cream, remaining sugar and vanilla together.
Whip until soft peaks form.
Put 1/3 of rhubarb in a serving bowl ( or individual dishes) Cover with 1/3 of gingersnaps and top with 1/3 of cream mixture. Repeat until all ingredients are used. The cream mixture should be on top.
Refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Serve chilled.